- December 6, 2015.
- Our Christmas/Open Mic/Pot Luck Party was held in Arizona Rooms #1 and #2 at the Fairway Recreation Center, with spouse, significant other, or music loving friend joining us. All agreed this party ranked high in fun. Open Mic is not about showing us what a great uke player or singer you are, but more about sharing what you love about the uke with all of the rest of us. We are the most appreciative audience you will ever find.
Not only was this the date for our party, but it is the day that Heidi Swedberg and Daniel Ward came to our club. Many of you may remember Heidi from her visit to our club two years ago. You may also remember her as the character, Susan Ross, on the long running "Seinfeld" show. She was George's girlfriend, who died after licking the cheap wedding invitation envelopes that George had purchased.
Heidi's beginner workshop 3 Around the Tree was in the Music Room.
The lilting sound of waltz time is part of what makes our favorite holiday songs so poignant. Explore simple picking and strumming patterns to add magic to traditional songs close to your heart.
Daniel Ward's more experienced player's workshop Salsa Picante: Intro to Latin Strums was in AZ Rooms 1 and 2. There is a good reason salsa has become America's favorite condiment- it adds spice to everything! Daniel introduced us to Latin fundamentals which can add a little cha-cha-cha to your playing.
We are delighted that Heidi and Daniel were once again in Sun City for a concert and workshop.
After the workshops, Heidi and Daniel performed for RCSC cardholders and their invited, escorted guests at 4:00 PM in the Fairway Music Room. Non-RCSC cardholders pay the $2.00 RCSC guest fee that covers your participation that day.
Check out Heidi's website.. Here are links to videos of Daniel Ward and his extraordinary ukulele skills. One. Two.
Thank you for these pictures, Jeff! -- Click on a thumbnail to enlarge.
- October 29, 2015
- The regular Thursday session began with a club general meeting to elect 2016 officers and approve changes to the club rules and regulations. The updated rules and regs were emailed.
- June - September, 2015
- Ukulele club meetings are suspended for the summer. A Special Interest Group called Summer Strummers met same time, same place, led by Jean Anderson and Doris Deitz.
- May 17, 2015
- A segment of the CBS Sunday Morning program featured Sun City. Trudy was interviewed and a brief clip of Ukulele Club practice was shown.
- April 30, 2015
- After break time, some of us attempted to learn the hula. Thanks, Kathy!
- March 26, 2015
- The club needed a reason to have an open mike night along with an accompanying potluck. This Thursday
was declared to be "Farewell to Snow Birds". A good time was had by all.
A special treat was hearing Uke Club member, Happy Anderson, perform a song she wrote,
West Virginia Memories. chordsheet and
audio in mpeg4 format
The original demo was done in a small Appalachian studio in 1980. This was released on 45 rpm in 1981
and later included on a cassette album. It got some radio airplay around the tri-state area.
A performance was done at the State Capital Building in 1983. Happy was awarded an honorary plaque
from the Secretary of State, naming her "West Virginia Ambassador of Music Among All People".
The song later ended up on a CD and DVD, promoting West Virginia state history and tourism.
- March 21-22, 2015
- Club performed at the Glendale Folk & Heritage Festival.
- March 5, 2015
- A crew from CBS taped a segment of our Thursday meeting for the CBS television show Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood. The half hour segment featured Sun City, including a bit of the Ukulele Club, and was broadcast on May 17.
- Feb 9, 16, 13, Mar 2. 3:00-4:00 pm. - Four Mondays
- Uke 'n Jazz 102. Mark Baker led a class for members.
- Jan 5, 12, 19, Feb 2. 3:00-4:00 pm. - Four Mondays
- Uke 'n Play 101. Mark Baker led a class for members.