- January 5
- Jam with Kate Schuman and Vicky Miller
- January 12
- Workshop, Voice Training, with Bob Isaacson followed by jam.
- January 18
- Discover Sun City orientation. Volunteers represented our club.
- January 19
- Open Mic, AZ rooms, Crockpot/Cornbread
- January 26
- Workshop, "Improvisational Techniques", open to all, led by Bob.
- January 29
- All Club Performance at First United Methodist Church.
- February 8
- Sarah Maisel, Craig Chee, and Danielle Anderson workshops and concert, followed
by pizza and open mic.
- Craig Chee, Bootcamp 101 (All levels)
- Danielle Ate The Sandwich, Performance Skills and Playing with Confidence (All Levels)
- Sarah Maisel, Life After the Third Fret, Beginner to Intermediate
- February 9
- Free Bass Lessons open to all, followed by jam with Dave Fuchs.
- February 11
- Mark led a performance for PA club in Sun City West at the Foundation Building.
- February 15
- In place of Performance Band Practice - Workshop: Make Your Own Fun Fur Lei. Helen Vickonoff will show everyone how to make their own Hawaiian lei using Fun Fur yarn. You will need to purchase a skein of Fun Fur at either Joann's, or Walmart. There may be other sources, as well. Choose any color you like. Helen will bring the straws, scissors, and ribbons. Questions? Call Helen at 928-503-9166. If you have your own 1/4” or 3/8” ribbon that matches your Fun Fur yarn, please bring it.
- February 16
- Membership Meeting, followed by showing of "The Mighty Uke" documentary.
- February 23
- Workshop led by Mark Baker, "Adding Color To Your Uke Playing".
- March 2
- New Orleans / Mardi Gras songs with Dan Wilkins and Shirley Veit. Wear your beads!
- March 6
- Special Event, An Evening with Mark Baker and Friends, $10, at Sundial Auditorium.
Here's a 20 minute video of the concert, courtesy of Jeff Thomason
- March 9
- Performance at Bell Social Hall for Bell Craft Club.
- March 11&12
- Aloha Festival in Tempe. Bob, Kathy, Toni and Kate taught.
- March 18
- Performance at Glendale Folk and Heritage Festival, directed by Kate Schuman.
On Sunday, Kate Schuman performed on Foreman's Porch. Jeff Thomason shared this video of Kate.
- March 23 in Music Room
- Special concert with Mark Pearson of the Brothers Four. This was a great opportunity to hear one of the greatest banjo players alive who also plays the ukulele. It was our own Bob Isaacson who convinced Mark to pick up the ukulele and now Mark plays it as a standard part of the Brothers Four touring performance.
- March 23
- Bob Isaacson led an hour of "Ukenanny" music.
- April 4
- Kate Schuman entertained at the West Valley Senior Expo at Palmbrook Country Club
- April 6
- Bye, Bye, Snowbirds open mic with chicken dinner.
- May 11-13
- 10th Annual Denver Ukefest including a performance and workshop by Jake Shimabukuro. Whoa!
- May 29, Memorial Day
- All Club performance led by Bob for the members of First Presbyterian Church. We were invited to eat fish tacos before out performance.
- Thursdays, 3-5
- Summer Strummers is like our regular jams throughout the year. Music is projected. Guest fees are collected at the door. We just change the name for the summer. No mentorship would be the main difference.
- September 26, Tuesday, 1:00-5:30, Dani Joy mini-ukefest
- Workshops and concert in Bell Social Hall #1
Strumbelievable workshop: Level 1+
In this workshop we will explore a variety of strumming patterns in an evolutionary manner (building as we go). As we strum, I will discuss the nuances and mechanics of the strum, adding accentuated beats and leaving silent gaps to create fun syncopated rhythms. This class will culminate to the infamous "Strum #7" or calypso strum, used for such songs as Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Jamaica Farewell, and Iko Iko. Materials include 1 pdf. Low G or high g.
Ode to Joy Ensemble: Level 2+
Oh the ol' Ode to Joy, a classic. In this class we will work in 3 parts: melody and 2 harmony accompaniments. We will discuss timing, musical notation, and how one classical sound is created from 3 separate voices. Materials include music written on the staff and Tab. Low G recommended for harmony parts.
(including a brief description of the timing, for those who don't read notation)
Both classes will be prepared for performing during open mic
- September 26
- Open mic and dinner party in Bell Social Hall #2
- November 24
- Flash mob in Sundial atrium for Arts and Crafts Festival
- November 25
- Club performance at Arts and Crafts Festival at Sundial
- November 30
- Open mic, heavy hors d'oeuvres potluck.
- December 2
- Flash mob at Desert Rose Restaurant
- December 4
- Club performance at Palo Verde Arts Club
- December 8
- Table at Sun City Holiday Celebration at Lakeview
- December 8
- Flash mob at Lakeview
- December 9
- Club performance for Garden Club at Lakeview Social Halls 1 and 2.
- December 11
- Club performance for Lakeview Ceramics Club